Tuesday, March 10, 2009

daylight savings yooo

hurting over here ...esp since I've been going in early all week rising at 5am is 4am.. but I"m happy now its not dark when I get home.

Quick post on my brother President Obama and his contracting reform. Now as a gov't ctr I'm not against change for defense done correctly apparently my girl said Obama is a defense hater lol and likes homeland (they suck lol). I'm anxious to hear how the 60 day cybersecurity review results turn out and also I'm following this new memo issued by the White House- Memorandum for the Heads of Executive Departments and Agencies Subject: Government Contracting

2 points I want to make before I hit the sack.

#1- Lets AUDIT the gov't first before we blame cost over runs and mis-management on contracting firms. I can say for my DIVISION we only have 1 government InfoSec person and he got thrown into the role; hates it and although they sent him to random training he is not embracing the jobs. Our division and directorate IAM are both contractors. I know 2 other govvies at my agency thrown into InfoSec roles one has high school education, hates on those with degrees refuses to get a CISSP and she's the Alternative-IAM. I know another Alt-IAM she and I talk fashion all day long but let me ask a work questions and "she like I'll get back to you" another govvie. I'm saying this a tiny example on the whole schema of the federal gvt but just examples of what I'm surrounded by. Wholetime we have a IA contractor team at the level above me making $150/an hour who are hardly working so again, scrutiny needs to happen on both sides of the fence.

Moreover, it is essential that the Federal Government have the capacity to carry out robust and thorough management and oversight of its contracts in order to achieve programmatic goals, avoid significant overcharges, and curb wasteful spending. A GAO study last year of 95 major defense acquisitions projects found cost overruns of 26 percent, totaling $295 billion over the life of the projects. Improved contract oversight could reduce such sums significantly.


#2- In response to this quote taken from the executive memo. I'm sorry I'm like blame the gvt on MOST of this issue. Like I joke around but this stuff really happens LOL.

gvt: We need new fighter planes
ctr: what kind?
gvt: not sure it needs to be big
ctr: how big?
gvt: not sure it needs to have 30 missiles each that can be self guided through a cpu on the plane.
ctr: anything else?
gvt: yes make sure the plane changes colors depending on its enviorment

so they allot 20 billion dollars for the plane to be built 2 years later than scheduled and only half the requirements fulfilled.

LOL this is an extreme example but acquisition education is important no matter if its weapon systems, or people I myself need to get past only knowing Acquisition 101 because I believe understanding this will be important skill set in the Obama era.

No comments: